Saturday, September 13, 2008

Current Obsessions

Entertainment Weekly posts a weekly 'Must' list of tv shows, music and cultural events that they think people should check out. Here are some of my favorites from the past couple of months:

True Blood (HBO) - I have to admit, I've always been a sucker for all things VAMPIRE (well, except for the actual biting and draining of blood)! Buffy and Angel have been off the air for years and Moonlight was recently canceled (By those bastards at CBS!), so the past few months have been devoid of the living dead on my screen. I loved Alan Ball's last series, Six Feet Under. (Think I'm a bit morbid much?). And I was not disappointed by this show's premiere on Sunday. In a nutshell? FUNNY! Sookie Stackhouse and co. (particularly Tara, Lafayette and Arlene!) kept me thoroughly entertained. Mixed in with enough scares and romance to leave me twitching for the next episode. Sundays at 9pm Folks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd5E-pHzXGI

P.S. I know everyone's gaga over the Twilight series but I'll watch the movie first!

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman - Seriously, what the hell happened to CoreFire!? Imagine a graphic novel/comic book but without any pictures. Well developed superheroes with their flaws (and technological organs) laid out in detail; Mr. Grossman's world is so fleshed out, pictures aren't needed. Proof that imagination is a terrible thing to waste!

Becoming Jane - I never new much about Jane Austen's life other than the usual biography. Although this film is a interprative portrait of the going-ons that lead her to write several of the world's most beloved novels, it struck a chord with me. A version of life imitating art. Although I think James MacAvoy is more handsome in person than in a book!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD6sN3rP0Q8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9AqpwsclfI

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty- I remember watching the miniseries as a child and being captivated by a time in history that has long since passed. But reading the main book in Larry McMurty's Lonesome Dove Saga reminded me why some novels have the ability to capture the spirit of the Old West and make it resonate today. A book worthy of its Pulitzer!

Chocolate Chip Cookies - Sometimes you just need a dozen cookies to put you right again ;)

Alternet.org - I get several newsletter from this site a day (Health and Wellness, War in Iraq, Media Headlines, Water and Environment) and I am never at a loss for new things to learn. Intellectually stimulating journalism that's extremely honest to boot! Why can't the national daily (hello, NYT and San Francisco Chronicle!) newspapers learn from their example?

NIN LIVE - I just saw Mr. Reznor and co.'s "Lights in the Sky" show last week in Oakland and it will permanently remain in my top five shows ever (well, at least until their next tour!)! I'd been waiting my whole life to see them live and I wasn't disappointed! The lights, the video screens were absolutely PHENOMENAL!!! Fuck CGI! Lucasfilm could learn a thing or to about showmanship from Nine Inch Nails! Nothing I love more than to hear thousands of people singing on key, "Bow down before the one you serve. You're going to get what you deserve"! Here is a compilation of the visual effects during the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwV5cWLFM9U

Hugh Jackman singing 'Oh What A Beautiful Morning' from the musical 'Oklahoma' - Oh what a beautiful morning indeed when I get the chance to hear Wolverine belt it out Broadway style! Lately, if I'm in a bad mood, all I have to do is hum this tune and I want to climb on top of a windmill and sing to the heavens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyaAZKwYXxg

March by Geraldine Brooks - I seem to be on a kick with historical novels but this one warrants attention. (It won the 2006 Pulitzer Prize). I finally got around to reading this study of a fictional character that is the father of another fictional character in a book that is high school required reading: Josephine March of Louisa May Alcott's 'Little Women'. This novel follows Mr. March through his perilous journeys as a Yankee chaplain in the American Civil War. Mainly its about the things left unsaid between loved ones, even those so dear to our hearts.


I hope you all enjoy this list! Take some time to check some of this stuff out, hopefully all of it! Special thanks to youtube.com for all the clips!






1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Seriously. Read Twilight first. It's an amazing series and I am going to need therapy when I'm finished with the 4th book that I'm on right now. Excellent stuff.

TrueBlood is based on the Sookie Stackhouse book series and I have mixed feelings about them. I've read all the books and have yet to see the show but I felt a bit frustrated with the author. She makes Sookie pretty dumb and I can't stand a lot of it. However, at about the 4th book she finally reeled me in. It's interesting but it doesn't compare one iota to Twilight.